Thursday, March 12, 2009

misery and company

For having a cold and having 2 sick children I'm doing pretty good.

I woke up this fine and lovely morning with a really bad soar throat and a scratchy voice (I'm on day 3 of this bad cold thing). Joey, by my side in bed, asked for a cup. I gave him some water and then he wanted some more. I walked blindly to the kitchen and made my way there and back no problem. That was until about 10 minutes later when he was throwing up everywhere! He will be 4 in June and he has never thrown up before (because of sickness) I was in shock! He was in shock! It was all over our bed and floor. I carried him to the shower and he gagged a few times. I asked him if he felt bad and he said, "no" I put him on the couch and he was acting kinda normal. It was 5 in the morning and he was smiling. He looked pale. A mother knows when her baby is sick. He was sick.
He is such a stud. When it comes to getting hurt he rarely cry's. In fact, he started to let me kiss him when he gets hurt only because I LIKE to kiss him- not because he needs it. Sometimes I wish he was more cuddly and needy-but at the same time I admire his strength. He is kinda like a "guys guy"

I fell back asleep after I checked on the other sickly one who had not made a peep all night. "Is she alive?" I thought. I could tell Brian was thinking the same thing. She was sound asleep. Humidifiers are awesome!
Joey is now still asleep, Ruthie is asleep and I should be asleep! But, I can't sleep. I have to say one of my worst fears of parenthood was seeing one of my kids throw up. I realize now that I think i was so terrified of it because I'm scared every time I throw up. I didn't realize a child could react the way Joey did. He wasn't scared, embarrassed, or anything. I feel so lonely when I'm sick. I beg Brian to lay with me, I tell him I feel worthless and he just hugs me and gets me anything I could possibly need. He pleads with me to rest. I love the attention, but, that's how I am when I'm sick. When I was little if I was sick I was sent to my room and basically wasn't aloud to come out until I was feeling better or it was dinner. I had no t.v barely any attention. There were a lot of kids in the family so this was the way it had to be I guess. My mom was always worried about things spreading. I didn't like waking my mom up when she was sleeping (she was kinda scary when she woke up) so I would wake up Kev (my bro) and he would hold my hair back while I puked and then I would cry. Then he would put me in the shower, wash me off ,put my clothes on,tuck me in bed and sit there til I fell asleep. I hated missing school too. I would have rather been at school than be at home, sick.

So, here I am with my own babies in 2009, and I have decided I will love them senseless when they are sick (whether they want it or not). Brian said he would go get ice cream and fruit pops and we will sit around and watch movies and I will kiss my kids as much as I can. I will make some popcorn and let Joey eat it anywhere he wants. I will bust out all the blankets and hopefully we can help one another get to feeling better.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Tiff, I love that! You are such a good mommy. And Brian such a caring hubby. I am opposite when I am sick. I need everyone to leave me alone. Michael has learned by now to just let me be. Funny Huh? We are sick over here too. Emma is home now for the second day with this nasty cold and Josh has a temp today and getting this horrid thing. I am just fine thus far. I am sorry you all are sick but it sounds like you have the right idea. I was more like your mom- probably because of having four kids and not wanting everyone to get it. Michael is the one who gets up with the kids when they vomit. Helping them when they vomit makes me throw up so Michael learned early on to take over so he didn't have to clean up two messes. Isn't it funny how we are all different. I think I will go up to Emma's room where she is watching a movie and see if she needs my company. I have to start looking at this through their little eyes and not just my own. Thanks for sharing all of this. It has been eye openning for me. Hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff! You are an awesome mama! It's so cool that you are willing to love on vomit-y kids. It shows an amazing sacrifice.

    Can I come to your house when I'm sick, too. I need lots of attention and hate throwing up alone, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lovely dear: I'm glad you're feeling better these days. I was sad to see you feeling down. Guys, she handles it much better than me! No surprise there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way as you. I will never 'punish' my children for being sick. I was always banished to my room too, with no TV and nothin to do but rest. I figure why not make it as enjoyable as possible as opposed to as miserable as possible! Kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

My photo
Redmond, Oregon, United States
My break-through journal