Tuesday, January 20, 2009

wine buzz gone..

Tonight Brian and I were shooting for a night somewhat alone. With wine in hand, and a movie in the works we were so close. In more ways than one I might add! Joey with a cold and Ruthie joining him it was stupid for trying-or was it? I have been getting used to two children, In fact I would have said we were done with transition. But, moments like this remind me not to get ahead of myself.

Ruthie will be 4 months January 30th. wow~ time is flying, but sometimes it feels like I have had her forever. With the subject of "body image" I was reading an article from my favorite website ever today,(the shape of a mother.com, you guys know I'm totally hooked on it) but a very smart woman mentioned something that really stood out to me. She explains:

"So, I’m watching my son, and I’m marveling at his benchmarks and growth spurts and chubby cheeks and laughter and at some point, I ask myself, “If you are so happy for this rapid change, growth and transformation in your son, then why aren’t you celebrating your own as well?” Deep. I mean, here we are, new mothers holding babies on our hips that grew inside us feeling bad about stretchmarks and cellulite. Stupid, isn’t it?

But shoot, we don’t know any better. We get tricked into believing that having a baby is a thing you “bounce back” from. We don’t understand it as a fundamental transformation, but rather as some sort of “situation” that we will return to “normal” after.

I mean, men probably have a better understanding of what women’s post-pregnancy bodies look like than we do!"

Is it possible? Our men really do see what is real and beautiful and we are the ones that don't? I can't tell you how many times I have told Brian that he doesn't get it with the body thing and that "I should have the weight off by now" or "Quit telling me I'm beautiful!" etc.
geez--my body created a human for crying out loud!! What the hell do I expect? and why do I dwell on this? deep breath :)

so anyways, maybe my buzz isn't completely gone ,,,,

2 comments:

  1. Tiff-

    What a frank and honest blog! I love it!! Glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tiff, I can so relate. I am so glad I am not alone in the world. Also, thanks for listening to me the other day. That listening ear is what I needed. I am doing much better!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

My photo
Redmond, Oregon, United States
My break-through journal